More than a third (37.9%) report unintentionally falling asleep during the day at least one time in the previous month. Even more alarming, nearly 5% said they had nodded off or fallen asleep while driving in the previous month.
While sleep needs change with age, the minimum recommended hours of sleep a night is 7, and 35.3% of adults say they typically get fewer than 7 hours of sleep. Luckily, scents that promote sleep can help.
Best Sleep Inducing Scents
To give yourself the best chance of catching some shuteye, try diffusing one (or several) of these fragrances in your bedroom about half an hour before you go to bed:
- Lavender – Relieves anxiety and agitation, promotes relaxation
- Chamomile – Eases tension in the body and promotes relaxation in the body and mind
- Bergamot – While most citrusy fragrances give you energy, bergamot is known for calming emotions which can help you settle down for a restful night
- Jasmine – Helps control nervous system activity, found to be as effective as some pharmaceutical drugs at inducing sleep
- Rose – If bad dreams are keeping you up, try a rose fragrance. A German study found that people who smelled it before bed had more pleasant dreams.
- Sandalwood – Mind still spinning at bedtime? Consider using a sandalwood fragrance to balance your mood and calm your mind.
With regular use, your sleep schedule could be back on track with immediate benefits for your health, mood and mental and physical performance.
Use a small diffuser in your bedroom such as the Aroma Sol, AE650 or the AE450. You can also connect a larger diffuser directly to your HVAC unit for a seamless experience. Ask your Air Esscentials rep which diffuser is right for you.